Thursday, September 11, 2008

Thoughts upon a Viewing of Goodnight and Good Luck

While the memory is still fresh in my mind, I will reflect upon what I saw and partially slept through this afternoon (the direct post-food-consumption period is not the most advantageous movie-viewing time).

From what I saw of Goodnight and Good Luck today, I am sure I will like it. The cinematography is beautiful, the acting is superb, and the story is mesmerizing. How strange it is to think, that not but fifty years ago, an individual could be put out of work or even incarcerated for practicing free speech or the freedom to pursue happiness in this "land of liberty". For it is indeed a pursuit of happiness to be a part of a political party that best fits your ideals and morality. Frankly, it's frightening to imagine such a blatant besmirching of the ideals our country was built upon (speaking of which, Mr. Smith Goes To Washington is a pretty good movie, go watch it).
This prompts another thought: There is no question that there was a violation of American rights during the Red Scare, but one has to wonder why such atrocities were preformed in the first place. Surely the men who were authorizing them could see how far they were straying from the American ideal. Was it fear alone that motivated them to take action, even if such actions would violate the rights of the nation? Perhaps prejudice as well?
It occurs to me that the movie may not be able to answer my musings, but I can still hope.

Another thing: Closets really are magical places. I keep finding strange objects in mine that i had no previous knowledge of.

Also: My writing sounds nothing like my usual speaking habits. How very sad.

2 comments:

Albert Cohen said...

I find it odd how you complain about your writing sounding nothing like your speaking voice on this, but I'm sure you've said you love writing just for that reason. It let's you think about your response and sound more edumucated. Double standard much?

Joshua said...

Be thankful your writing sounds even remotely like your speech. I don't really even consider myself to be able to talk at all.